Blood is essential for life. It supports every organ in the body and protects us from disease by healing our skin when we have an injury.
However, people normally don’t like the sight of blood and are often scared of it. Why do you think this is?
Work in small groups to answer this question. Use the questions below for ideas.
1) In what situations do we see our own blood? What about in TV and films?
2) What is your reaction when you are bleeding? Do you feel disgusted? Are you normally in pain?
3) What do you think influences your idea of blood more – TV and films, or your own personal experiences?
4) Does understanding its importance change your opinion?
5) After thinking about these questions, will you feel calmer the next time you are bleeding?